Saturday, May 5, 2012

Planning May Not Be My Strong Suit but This is Getting Ridiculous

I have been fortunate to get work with memorial these last few days that I'm in town and the easiest work I've ever had at memorial.  I worked 12 hours yesterday (of which I moved at all for maybe 1.5 hours of it).  I work 6.5 hours today and Kacee and Jess did all the heavy lifting before I even got here (and by heavy lifting I mean chair moving).  So all I had to do was plop down in a comfy chair and start actually thinking about what I'm getting ready to do.  And about how soon it is.  And about how little I have planned.

I am in the process of having my passport expedited so I still can't sign up for WWOOF Israel (as they require an updated passport number) but I CAN browse all of the potential hosts and drool over the prospects.  So many seem awesome that I just want to spend two weeks each at two or three of them but I know that it might be equally beneficial to just pick one and really engage with that host.  One really appealing site is a farm in the desert right on the dead sea.  They have a small desert farm but a large herd of GOATS.  You get free room and board for only 6 hours of work 6 days a week and in your down time you can hike, ride horses (also free), ride a bike down to the dead sea, etc. At night they run a small local pub which is also free to partake of as a volunteer.  If I could just live a life of goats and beer forever I think I might be happy with that.  Goats. and. Beer.  A girl can dream.  There are countless other sites with decidedly less beer that look incredible too, though.  

Site selection is complicated by the fact that I might need consistent internet to get things settled with Peace Corps.  I know that if I get my placement after I leave I will need to get passport and visa forms filed and I don't quite know how that might work if I'm living in the desert in Israel.  I keep having to remind myself that these are good problems and worries to have.  

As for Peace Corps preparation- is it even possible?  I've read every single blog on Peace Corps Journals about West Africa since mid-2011 and what I've read has run from thrilling cultural exchange to frustration to boredom to homesickness and beyond.  I know that this is to be expected and that everyone feels all of this at one point or another during their Peace Corps experience but what I don't know is how to prepare myself if I do, in fact, get my placement for September.  I feel like my agricultural skills are not where I would like them to be to be helpful and my French definitely needs improvement but aside from studying in these areas, can you really prepare for any of this?

I've been resisting making plans thus far due to a combination of sheer lack of time and reticence to cultivate expectations.  But now it's crunch time.  There's no more time for hesitation or resting.  I've always been pretty good at flying by the seat of my pants in the past but my love of chaos is getting a little ridiculous.  Monday after my 24 hour vacation will hopefully see me checking off a long to do list of planning items. 

[not to mention selling more things and preparing for my FAMILY TO COME INTO TOWN for graduation!]

No comments:

Post a Comment