Sunday, July 14, 2013

It’s the day before the day before my birthday and can I make you take the trash out for me if I want you to….

… that’s how the song goes, right?

It might be said that I abuse my birthday powers just a teeny tiny bit but I absolutely love birthdays and I’m going to be holding my 19th birthday party against the world for a long, long time (…with the exception of Kelsey Merlo.  She has done everything she ever needs to for my birthdays for the rest of her life after that one).  For those of you who don’t know… my 19th birthday party consisted of  a theoretical 150 people for which a lot of “refreshments” and grilling materials were purchased but boiled down to Kelsey Merlo and about three others on a muggy stormy day on my porch and 148 “sorry but we can’t make it at the last minute” messages in my inbox. 

This birthday, however, was fantastic and not even because I was forcing people to celebrate with me left and right.

The week began with me desperately trying to get all of my work done so that I could skip a couple days of work to celebrate.  This was complicated when a report was due at work and the logistics for our Portland IT meeting – which I was in charge of – fell through with regularity throughout the week (hello from PDX baggage claim, by the way).  By Tuesday I was thoroughly ready to give up…

…but then this all happened:


1. My boyfriend cooked me dinner for kicks on Tuesday night… and despite his previous burnt attempts at rice it was really good.  Plus there was birthday cake ice cream as insurance.

2.  I was dragged out on Wednesday night because it was the night before the night before my birthday and I deserved a free beer, damnit.

3.  Thursday was the girliest thing that has ever happened to my life but I got my nails done and Marissa Provost took my request to look like Charlize Theron (or at least her hair) for my birthday very seriously and threw in doing my makeup because she’s the best.  Between that and my bomb birthday dress that I bought a month ago and have been dying to wear, I looked great.  Sorry ‘bout it but let’s not even pretend that anyone believes I’m modest. 

4.  Delicious birthday dinner with my family followed by Freeport Bakery cake with only a moderately rude message on top! :P  Read: I never wanted to move again.

5.  But fortunately I got off my butt because I went out for drinks with friends and at midnight I got a birthday lapdance in a bar from a complete stranger.  It was definitely good that his friends bought me a really nice drink to make up for the trauma.  I think the highlight was when I didn’t know what to do to make him stop so I gave him a high five and then shook his hand. 

6.  Eggs Benedict.

7.  THE CALIFORNIA STATE FAIR.  Red Velvet Funnel Cake.  The Zipper.  Swings.  Hypnotist Show.  Bunnies.  A Cow Born On My Birthday.  Brick O’ Curly Fries. Fireworks.  The Zipper.  SLOTH.  [but seriously we saw this sloth move across his enclosure, suspend by his legs, and NOM on a nectarine.  It was the most adorable thing I have ever seen in my life.  On a scale from one to Kristen Bell I was actually about an 8.5.  I had to leave.]

8. I became a pet owner.  I got a goldfish from Alex and Devin for my birthday.  His name is Morton M.  I am in love with him.  I got him a home with a pirate ship.  We’re going to be best friends forever.

9.  Saturday night we continued the party with karaoke at Hamburger Mary’s (I still refuse to call it Hamburger Patties).  Devin and Alex sang The Boxer while I stood awkwardly in the middle laughing my ass of at the fact that there were literally three or four screens in a row of JUST “Lie la lie lie lie” over and over again. 

10.  In breaks in the festivities I cam home to loads of messages from family and friends that made me smile each and every time.  If I had the time and energy I would message each and every one of you just to tell you how much I appreciate it and how much you mean to me but as I am now in Portland on the last legs of my battery I will have to leave it at a general thank you for now. 

All my love from Portland!

No comments:

Post a Comment